snippets as life files/flies past

the low profile i keep

My photo
manchester
where i gather my thoughts, and you get to see them.

some immediate thoughts

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday 9 February 2009

    95 years on

    Years ago I had a book containing milestones from the history of photography. Included in it was Henri Lartigue's 1913 image of a racing car, speeding past the camera. The shutter action moved vertically from top to bottom, and as it did so transferred the light
    onto the plate. With the pace of the car, the time which the shutter slit took to scan the lens became significant, such that circular
    wheels were captured as ovals. So, I believe, the inspiration for Roadrunner's leg action was born.

    Now idly snapping from the train to Sheffield, I find that by turning my iPhone to landscape format I can reproduce the same effect. We've clearly come a long way in 95 years.

    No comments:

    stuff i've won

    artwiculate winner

    where are you from, caller?

    sounds nearby